Thursday, April 24, 2003

and just like that, as quickly as it began, my first year is over. so it's my last night up here in waterloo, just went out with clinton to shoot some pool. thanks for the game man, sorry i suck so much :) haha. i finished my sociology exam today within the first hour, marking the end of my '3 exams in 3 days' trial. for the most part, they all went okay, but i guess i'll have to wait til the marks come in before i can be sure. hopefully i'll have enough to stay in the program, but that remains to be determined. Anyways, i think im going to miss this place, even the people. it wont quite be the same back home. as i look back on my year, its hard to say if it's been a success or a failure. i've definitely learned a lot, most of it outside the classroom, about people, about life, and most importantly, about myself. I have my disappointments and i've done things that i've regretted, and if i had the chance, i'd go back and undo them. But you can't undo the past, and perhaps the best thing you can do is learn from your mistakes. i'm thankful for the friends that have been there along the way to help me through the year. i was talking to sharon a while back, and she mentioned it's neat how God will put people into your life, even if for only a brief while, just when you need that person to be there. as i thought about it more, i realized how true that was. a lot of people came through when i really needed it, and i have no idea where i'd be without them. but beyond that, it'll be good to be home. as i was cleaning out my drawer today, i pulled out a card my parents had given me when i first moved into res. i hadn't read it since, and i opened it up again. i won't bore you with the details, but one line stuck out. it said, 'we'll miss you but we trust you'll make us proud.' i got a bit teary-eyed as i read it and thought about that. have i made my parents proud? have i made God proud? and so, once again im reminded that it's not really what you do or how good your marks are that'll make your parents proud. it's the kind of person that you are. and i earnestly pray that i will become the person that will make my parents proud, that will make my heavenly father proud.

and so, as i depart from this first chapter of my new university life, i leave you with this. may you find true rest, peace, and comfort in our Lord Jesus Christ:

No More My God, I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of They Son

No more my God
No more my God
No more my God
I boast no more.

Now, for the loss I bear his name,
What was my gain I count my loss
My former pride I call my shame
And nail my glory to His cross

Yes, and I must, I will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus' sake
O may my soul be found in Him
And of His righteousness partake
Amen, amen

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne
But faith can answer Thy demands
By pleading what my Lord has done

No comments:

Post a Comment